Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Donation Time.......... Nov 1, '04 12:03 PM

I had the most embarassing moment in my life today when i was doing some blood donation. It all started when I've finally decided I was gonna donate my blood today because I've got the car for the week (Ying's car cause they've gone back to Malaysia to attend a wedding).

I've been putting off donating blood because I kept having to wait till Ying's free to take me to the centre and then have to make sure I'm not doing anything and she's not doing anything as well and so yeah...I've finally managed to get it done today!

Eversince I donated a couple of times in Malaysia I've begun to feel addicted to donating blood. It gives me the hype....hahah I'm weird.

So Anyway, I went to the red cross centre, filled up the forms, and then there's this guy there who'll make sure u drink heaps of water or juice (they've got a juice machine there where u can drink for free....apple or orange....your choice.....cool eh?), and then he'll have to interview the donors before they can actually donate.

So, he took me to a room did some blood test and found out my haemoglobin is on the minimum scale....which means I need more iron on my blood, then asked a couple more questions and at the same time forcing me to drink more water and then after that took me to the donation room. It's a fairly huge room with a lot chairs for donors to sit while their blood are slowly being sucked out. Hahaha I'm such a drama queen.

As I was saying, alot of the donors are middle aged women and men and me and Ricky were the only young ones there and right after the blood bag is filled up, that's when it all begans. I was sitting on a reclining chair during the donation and when I was done the nurse put the chair back to its upright position and immediately I began to feel dizzy and hot. The nurse was asking if i felt dizzy and I said yes and then she quickly put the chair back down asking me to lie down and then!!!!!! she took 5 pieces of really cold cloth...put one on my forehead, put two on each of my hands and then used a really big Chinese traditional fan where we used to hang on the walls for decoration and started fanning me.

It was so embarassing because all these middle aged people around me were like getting up and going straight after they've finished and they were looking at me with the look that says "Look at how weak this young lady is". And with all the cloths around me I look like a mummy! And then I had to go use the toilet because I had so much water and the nurse was holding me and slowly taking me to the toilet and was waiting for me outside the toilet!

when I came out all the people were looking at me like I'm some kind of useless person. the nurse was really great, treating me like i'm a queen or something, making sure I've rest enough before letting me go, making sure I eat something there before I leave.....sigh...... it proves how weak I've become every since coming to Aus..... and you'd think I should be even stronger with all the good food, wine and the size I've grown into......I've never had this prob when I donated blood in Malaysia. But anyhow, I'm still gonna do it again 3 months later.....but this time I'll make sure I eat heaps of healthy food, eat heaps of iron and drink heaps of water! There u have it!

No comments: